Art in Virtual Reality & motion
A VR Design of a classic game: In Nova Asteroids, you shoot asteroids just by looking – aim your reticle on the space rocks and they vaporize. Catch power-ups with your shield, and dodge missiles, while standing.
my role: Creative Director
platform: Oculus Rift DK2
locations exhibited: NW Museum of Arts and Culture, Time Traveler Lounge, Riverpark Square
released on: Oculus Share
release date: 2015
Here are some examples of animation:
- Motion Reel back plate – live dance performance with real-time rendered graphic. I did the effects in Unity.
- Character rig dance – I animated the dance in Maya.
- Orange Character running from lightbulb guy – The final plate and animation is then followed by the full sequence I animated. Please excuse the rough quality.
- Armless parkour jumper – Character animation by me.
- Motion graphics: A mission statement for a company’s future is communicated with motion design. Illustrations were provided.
- iPad game – I created animations in Unity for iPad game. And led the redesign of this game, Keep your Teeth, to mobile.
- Soda animation – my animation.
- Gold model of Negative Space – Concept, model, animation created by me.
- A silhouetted dancer moves in front of a projection as an example of my interactive art projects, where I love collaborating with dancers and technologists.
Feel free to hop over to the HD version.
Corporate Motion Design
Motion Design for National Food Group
Lyric Inc needed their storyboards to come to life, and called me. I designed the motion (not the illustrations) for this uplifting corporate mission statement for National Food Group.
Iterated through several 3d browser designs for tablet. Used Photoshop, After Effects, Maya. Please contact me for the documentation of this project.
Game for Good
Client: Sweet Action Games
Created backgrounds, 3d models, textures, and 2d assets for iOS/Android game.
Website Layout Design
Website for Attack of the S. Mutans!
Attack of the S. Mutans! is a traveling museum exhibition geared to teach kids about dental health.
I designed the layout for this new website that had to be kid-friendly, yet informative to prospective museum clients. The layout was inspired by the main character – Dentisha’s – lab notebook.
I created animations that served as hidden interactive elements, which would give the visitor more of a sense of the game content. (view the live website)
New Media Art
Eroding Matter and Memory
Eroding Matter and Memory
“Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were.” – Proust
This piece explores the plasticity of memory and the process of revisiting memories. Shown at Soil Artist-Run gallery in Pioneer Seattle, for the month of March 2014. Curated by Interstitial Theater, the show explored the boundaries that define video art and dance performance work.
Shape Study (cont.)
Artifact III: Materialized
Laser cut baltic birch.
1.2 m x .4 m x .6 m.
Debut at SOIL Gallery in Pioneer Square. March 2014
I have been captivated by the emerging field of virtual reality ever since I learned of therapeutic applications as seen in pain relief studies. Since then, I’ve worn many hats in the industry. In 2015, I co-founded and served as the Creative Director at NovaWake Studios a VR company, which launched the project Gravity Compass on SteamVR in May 2016.
What do I do?
- Design VR Experiences
- Lead & Organize Projects
- Animation & Motion Graphics
In personal and professional projects, I work closely with developers and artists to create excellent content with the best user experience possible. My background is in animation, 3D art, and new media art.
Digital Artist, Animator, Designer – Freelance Consultant
9/2011 – Present
Co-Founder & Creative Director – NovaWake Studios
1/2015 – 5/2016
3D Artist & Graphic Designer – Firsthand Technology / DeepStream VR
9/2009 – 2011
Game for Good: Ebola Attack
Keep your Teeth
(open in app)